I have decided today, that I would go back to the roots of Australia and bake some damper. Although I added a bit of an Aussie twist to make it a little more delicious!
Serves- depends on the size, I made 12 small rolls
Time- 15 minutes to prepare, 15 minutes to cook
-1 and 1/2 Cups of self raising flour
-1/2 cup of water
Then whatever you want in your damper
1. Preheat oven to 200 Degree.
Sift the self raising flour into a bowl, then add water slowly until it is a dough like constancy. Make sure its a little sticky as it will be put on a floured surface.
2. Use a rolling pin to flatten out the dough into an oval shape, then add what ever ingredients you want in the centre, I did one with just Vegemite and one with Vegemite and cheese!
3. Roll the dough into a log and cut into 3cm thick slices, place at least 2 cm apart as they will rise and grow.
4. Put in the oven for 15minutes. Until lightly brown on top.
5. Then Serve! We put some butter on the plain Vegemite ones and that made them extra delicious. The Vegemite and Cheese ones were perfect by them selves, with a cup of tea or a coffee. Perfection.
We will be using this recipe again as we thought of some other ideas to put in the middle
- Jam served with whipped cream
- Cheese and Bacon
- Pesto with sun dried tomatoes
- Dried fruit
- Spinach and cheese (i'm going to try this one tonight)
Seriously its such an easy recipe and you could put anything you liked in the middle.
Its also a great way to celebrate Australia day, especially if you have people coming over.